Sunday, May 6, 2012

Why is the Kitchenaid is still dirty?!

We've had some nice weather lately, so I decided it would be a good time to catch up on what I'll politely refer to as "deferred maintainance" on the Cottage.  The window frames were missing most of the paint, and the wood had been exposed to the elements so long it was weathered gray.  It may be all the rage in barn siding for repurposed flooring and furniture, but it is NOT all the rage for window frames!!

This is what I started with:



I scraped off what was left of the flaking paint and dried out caulking.  Then I recaulked, filled what needed to be filled with wood putty and let it all dry.

Then I applied two fresh coats of white paint from True Value (it's even made in the USA!!).

Here is the finished product:




It's NOT perfect by any means, but it's much better at keeping the weather out.  Just ignore the spider webs and sand flies in the pictures please.  The white spot in the first photo above was someone's patch job for a hole in the siding.  We have a lot of those to fix.

So I still haven't gotten to the mixer yet, but at least most of the windows are no longer faded grey with useless caulking!

No comments:

Post a Comment