Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Working on the new floor

No photos yet, but here's where we're at:

I have found a few "recipes" for wood conditioner to try on the VERY dry sheathing that is destined to be our living room floor.  What I decided on after a few experiments is our own version!

First, we tried a 1:1 mix of boiled linseed oil and turpentine.  Not bad.

Next, I tried a 1:1:1 mix of linseed, turpentine and white vinegar.  This was applied to some crates we used in our landscape as a test since it looked rather like Italian dressing.  It didn't work as well and obviously didn't really mix.  The point of the vinegar was to kill bad stuff like mildew.

Last, I tried brushing a watered down vinegar mix on the wood, allowing it to dry, then brushing on a 1:1 linseed and tup mix.  This is what we will be using, followed by a light coat of gloss poly as an extra protectant since the living room has the two sliding doors and is the entrance/exit for our rather large dog.  We figured water was bound to be tracked in and out, as well as mud in the spring. 

We will be using a liquid nails/wood adhesive and cut nails to install the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment