Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Stove...Part II

Well, we decided it was time to get the stove in.  So, here's the rest of the story (well, mostly anyway, I still have to clean the oven, broiler and storage and get the oven and broiler working)!

I still needed to clean inside of the stove, where the gas lines and burners are.  This is what I had to work with (the burners/plumbing is out in this photo, as are the crumb trays)-the round "thing" in the middle is for the pilot:

This was the main tool, a scraper.  I scraped the layers of grease with it and created the pile of grease you see in the photo above.

After that, I sprayed everything down with vinegar and a 7th generation cleaner and used a brillo pad to scrub the rest of the grease off.  Then I wiped it all out with a towel.  Which left me with this:

Now we also had to get it working.  Originally, it was used on natural gas.  We don't have natural gas.  We have propane.  So, that meant we needed to figure out how to change it over.  Online research lead me to believe we needed to change the orifices.  Then I found a company selling a valve they said would eliminate the need to change the orifices.  I was confused.  Honestly, I didn't know what an orifice was or where to locate it.  This was a problem.

So, I turned to the forum that helped us learn a bit about our lovely Lopi,  And thanks to Daksy and Coaly I learned a LOT about my little stove's inner workings.

Turns out we have adjustable orifices!  We still need to get the oven and broiler working.  The pics below where taken before I finished cleaning.

This is the needle inside of the cap:

If you look at this photo, the needle with the cap off is on the right side towards the middle.  Above and a bit to the left is the adjustable orifice with the cap on.  Up above and a little more to the left with the screw on the top is an adjustment for the pilot light, and below that is oven control.

We spent a bit of time tweeking the amount of gas coming in through the orifices.  We have one perfect and the other three still need a bit of adjustment.  We also had to adjust the amount of air coming through the air flaps to get rid of the yellow in the flames.  These were easy to find, they looked like air flaps.  They are located on the tubes that feed the burners:

And now we have this:

We also hung some of our cast iron on the wall, since we have less storage space in the new stove.

Of course, your stove might vary!  This is just how WE got our new old stove in, we certainly aren't professionals and my little blog is just here to document our stove install (and of course all the other fun stuff we do here at the Cottage).

No comments:

Post a Comment